#WordPress At 15: Looking Back At The Milestones
WordPress, which is acclaimed as one of the best CMS platforms, dates back to May 2003 and its evolution over the years has been commendable. As its 15th birthday is just around the corner, it is a good opportunity to look back and see the important milestones in the remarkable journey of this platform. Before the celebrations go in full swing, let’s take a retrospective:
- 2001 was the year when the idea was first born as French developer Michel Valdrighi came up with a blogging software called b2/cafelog. Built with PHP and a MySQL database, the software was a new approach that changed the entire concept of content management.
- May 27, 2003, was the big day as this was the launch date of WordPress CMS. Mullenweg played a key role in this launch while WordPress was given its name by Christine Selleck Tremoulet, a friend of Mullenweg. Alex King, Dougal Campbell, and Ryan Boren were some other developers who contributed towards this new-found platform.
- 2004 was an eventful year as it saw the advent of WordPress Plugins. With the new plugin architecture, it became easier to extend and modify the platform features.
- The year 2006 saw the growth of WordPress as a brand as it registered its trademark and logo.
- 2007 was a mixed bag as it brought more acquisitions and updates but also gave the platform its first brush with a security breach. A vulnerability was detected on one of the web servers and quickly resolved by the developers.
- In 2008, the WordPress Developer had some good news as the CMS brought a revamped interface and automatic updates. It was now possible to download new versions and install plugins manually with a single click.
- The focus on themes and plugins continued to grow in 2009 after the rave reviews that the plugin installer received in 2008. This was the year when the platform was honored with the title of “Overall Best Open Source CMS”.
- 2010 marked the release of WordPress 3.0 and the birth of The WordPress Foundation.
- In the next few years, WordPress became lighter, faster and even more user-friendly. 2013 was particularly significant as it brought updates, security and an amazing new look for the CMS. In 2014, it got a few new versions, each enriched with improvement for the content creation process.
From 2015 to 2017, things have been on the quieter side, with nothing much more than a few updates coming now and then. The only considerable development for WordPress in these years is the introduction of Gutenberg. Also, the discovery of a content injection vulnerability in 2017 was a disturbing event but it was soon fixed up with a security patch.
WORDPRESS AT 15: LOOKING FORWARD
As WordPress celebrates its 15th year in 2018, it continues to be one of the most popular CMS. It has been through many changes over these years yet is revered for being free and open-source. If you are looking to leverage this platform for your business or make improvements to an existing WordPress website, trust only a reputed WordPress Development Company for the job. WordPress India is a leading name in this domain and is trusted as one of the best service providers for building result-oriented business websites with this platform. Hire WordPress Developer to avail expert services for developing, migrating, and managing WordPress websites.