Getting track of the latest Google updates is important to make relevant changes in the WordPress website. All that matters is providing an enhanced level of user experience to customers. You must be having a keen eye on regular updates from Google now and then. But have you heard anything about Google Core Web Vitals? If not, then you should know this in full detail related to the optimum performance of your WordPress website.
Businesses having a WordPress website do everything to increase web traffic by following sheer SEO guidelines. It needs something more than this to improve ranking. It can be done by improving the Core Web Vitals of your WordPress website that means enhancing the page experience by using informative metrics.
In this post, you will get to know everything about Core Web Vitals that help WordPress speed optimization, performance enhancement, and engaging user experience.
So, let’s get started.
What are Core Web Vitals?
Core Web Vitals are a new initiative of Google to measure the performance of your WordPress website by using three important metrics. It focuses on measuring the performance of the website as to how well it interacts with the users and how the users respond to whatever information they find on the platform.
It’s not just about measuring the key metric as to how fast the web pages load in a fraction of seconds. It is beyond that. The Core Web Vitals are categorized into three parts namely Largest Contentful Paint (loading performance), Cumulative Layout Shift (visual stability), and First Input Delay (interactivity).
Do not just confuse with the three performance key metrics of Core Web Vitals. We will explain everything here for you to better understand the significance of each point.
According to Google, the above metrics matter a lot to enhance WordPress website development and serve your purpose to meet business objectives.
Three Components of Core Web Vitals
1. Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
The largest Contentful Plan measures how long it takes the most vital and lengthy content page of the WordPress website to load. It is also referred to as loading performance measurement metrics. Sometimes a website’s most lengthy page takes few seconds to download that could ruin the user experience and customers to switch to another website.
The LCP element is different for a varied range of websites running differently on desktop and mobile. The optimum measurement of LCP should be under 2.5 seconds.
Google measures the LCP in the following manner:
- Good- Less than or equal to 2.5 seconds.
- Needs Improvement- Less than or equal to 4 seconds.
- Poor- More than 4 seconds.2. First Input Delay (FID)
FID measures the user’s interaction with a particular page. It tracks down the time taken when a user clicks on some tab on the website and how long does it take the new page to open. First Input Delay matters a lot to bring an enhanced experience by loading fast web pages after inserting any input by the user. It further ensures the immediate response of the website after putting in input by the user.
According to Google, find a different scoring range of FID:
- Good- Less than or equal to 100ms.
- Needs Improvement- Less than or equal to 300ms
- Poor- More than 300ms.
3. Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)
CLS measures the visual stability of the webpage. Simply, it measures how much of the content loads or shifts as per the user’s input.
For example, you click on the CTA button and then nothing happens. Instead of redirecting you to another page, it keeps on the same page without doing any call to action.
The same goes for a new website. When you are about to reach particular news, the page layout shifts as the number of ads that appear on the page or content keeps on shifting to other news.
You will find such regular layout shifts quite annoying and bring a poor user experience. Thus, CLS needs to be improved first hand with defined scores that are as follows:
- Good- Less than or equal to 01. seconds.
- Needs Improvement- Less than or equal to 0.25 seconds.
- Poor- More than 0.25 seconds.
Steps to Improve LCP in WordPress Website
Follow the recommended steps to improve Largest Contentful Paint on the WordPress website.
1. Minimize Page Weight/Size by Optimizing Pictures
- Optimize big images better-called Hero Images.
- Use Squoosh. app tool to view images while dragging and dropping.
- Compress the images using a different set of plugins like Smush, Imagify, or ShortPixel.
- Implement the feature of lazy loading of pictures & videos.
- Use an image CDN.
2. Make Use of a Fast Hosting Provider
- Fast hosting will have a good server response time. The ideal response time recommended by Google is less than 0.2 seconds i.e. 200 milliseconds.
- Need not overlook the uptime and reliability of your hosting provider that might slow down the loading of pages on a WordPress website.
- Make way for an ideal hosting service that operates well in your native area rather than choosing the service outside your region.
- Give special emphasis to DNS that should be fast less than 100 to 300 milliseconds. If crossing 300 milliseconds, then DNS will provide a bad experience for your site and bring a poor web experience.
3. Configure Efficient Page Caching
Fast page cache matters a lot to improve the page loading time. Improve your First Time to Byte with different cache tools like WP Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, WP Rocket, or any other.
4. Eliminate Render-Blocking Resources
Stop the rendering process that will slow down the page to load well on time. The more render-blocking elements you have on the website, the slower it makes the website to too much extent.
Additional steps include:
- Enable GZIP server-level compression.
- Reduce time to query the database.
- Use PHP Compatability Checker as the ideal WordPress plugin development to speed up things.
Steps to Improve FID in WordPress Website
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to improve the performance of FID on your WordPress website.
- Disable the plugins that are no longer needed.
- Keep the scripts into a single load.
- Make use of Web Workers for breaking a large set of tasks into small tasks.
- Enable AMP plugin that provides a great FID score. It is compatible with all WordPress themes and helps in enhancing performance.
Steps to Improve CLS in WordPress Website
Swiftly improve CLS by following the below-mentioned steps.
- Ensure the width and length of all WordPress site images.
- Reserve space for all the ads to prevent any layout shift on the site.
- Prevent using more dynamic content on adds-filled pages.
- Optimize web fonts. The best way to do this is to use the preloading fonts and take care of issues like Flash of Invisible Text (FOIT) and Flash of Unstyled Text (FOUT).
Start Optimizing Core Web Vitals Today
Now, you have got an idea about the vital importance of Core Web Vital optimization on your WordPress website. Enhancing the loading, response time, and improving layout shift not just helps to meet Google guidelines. But also improve the user experience to a maximum extent. Get the professional support of an experienced team of WordPress developers hired from WordPressIndia.
Frequently Asked Question
What are Core Web Vitals?
Core Web Vitals are a way to measure the user experience on a WordPress website by optimizing three major elements like layout shift, interactivity, and loading performance. All such elements matter a lot to speed up the usage of a website that is directly proportional to enhance experience and increase in web traffic.
How Do Core Web Vitals Impact WordPress Website?
Core Web Vitals impact the WordPress website in a big way i.e. in terms of preventing regular layout shifts to let users grasp the content in an efficient manner. It ensures fast loading of lengthy web pages within of span of fewer than 2 seconds. Also, the performance metric helps to measure user’s interaction with a particular page in the shortest possible response time.
Do I Need to Hire a Developer for Initiating Core Web Vitals Optimization?
Optimizing Core Web Vitals on a WordPress website is a detailed technical process. And, for this, you do need the expert assistance of a professional and WordPress developer.